7 tell-tale signs you may be living in a ‘sick house’
HUMIDITY, mould and hot or cold spots are all signs that a home is not as healthy as it should be.
People should be made more aware about the dangers of living in a property without adequate ventilation – and what homeowners can do to spot the tell-tale signs of so-called ‘sick’ houses.
Medical experts have identified a rise in reports of Sick Building Syndrome – which may result in symptoms including headaches, fatigue and poor concentration.
While some symptoms of Sick Building Syndrome are relatively mild, we’re only just beginning to understand the long-term implications of living in an unhealthy home environment and repeated exposure to toxins.
Public Health England has issued a warning over the presence of radon gas, which can build up over time and cause significant health issues.
Without proper ventilation and a steady supply of fresh, clean air, toxic chemicals can build up over time.
With this in mind, here our our 7 tell-tale signs that you may be living in a sick house:
- Condensation gathering on the windows
- Mould growth
- Frequent colds
- Hot and cold spots
- Central heating that keeps turning on and off (a sign of poor temperature control)
- Other allergy symptoms such as wheezing and itchy, watery eyes
If you’re constantly adjusting heating up or down, or you find that certain areas of your house are too hot or too cold, if heat and cold is building up, the likelihood is that so too are toxins.
In this instance, it’s a good idea to book an indoor air quality test. This will look for everything from Volatile Organic Compounds from common household cleaning materials to smoke pollution and radon gas to combustion gases from inadequately vented fireplaces and gas stoves.
The good news is that there are a range of products available to make your home a healthier place to be.
Air source heat pumps with a filter are a great choice if you want to regulate temperature and ensure good ventilation while aerovoltaic solar systems use fresh air from the outside to ensure a greener, cleaner indoor environment.