Act now to stop black mould problems

 In Indoor air quality

Now we are a month into the New Year many householders will be thinking about what jobs need to be done around the home.

At this damp time many people will be looking at the windows streaming with condensation and with black mould in the kitchen, shower and the bathroom.

These are all problems caused by poor ventilation, leaking pipes and moisture in the air which can also affect a person’s health, said green energy expert Ron Fox.

He said that when this excess moisture builds up it becomes a breeding ground for allergen causing dust mites – which isn’t great news for residents’ wellbeing.

“This is not surprising,” added Ron of Noreus Ltd on the University of Keele Science and Innovation Park, as the average family of four produces around 17 pints of water every day just through regular activities. 

He said that black mould can cause chronic coughing and sneezing, irritation to the eyes, mucus membranes of the nose and throat, rashes, chronic fatigue and persistent headaches with more dangerous symptoms in severe cases of prolonged exposure.

He said the short-term solution was to dispose of any soft furnishings, clothes and soft toys that are mouldy and then to fill a bucket with water and mild detergent using a cloth to wipe any mould off the walls.

But he said the long-term solution was good ventilation which offers a system throughout the house to remove excess moisture.

The other benefits are that it treats the air throughout the home, protecting the whole family, particularly young children, older people or those who have a respiratory illness. 

Many people think that by shutting the front door they can forget about the rising pollution outside from traffic fumes and harmful levels of radon gas.

But they should remember that poor ventilation traps stale, unhealthy air from heating, smoking, while condensation causes damp and mould inside the home.

To solve this Ron advises bringing in a home insulation consultant to provide a one-stop health check. They will test the air quality with specialist measuring equipment, checking for radon gas, levels of ventilation and combating allergens which can affect breathing problems.

They will also investigate combustion gases from inadequately-vented fireplaces and gas stoves to stop the carbon monoxide from causing headaches, dizziness and nausea.  

Finally, they will check for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) that are found in everyday household cleaning products, waxes, pesticides and building materials.

Once the inspection is completed, they will, if necessary, install filters to ensure a good flow of fresh, clean air.

“The benefits will be increased comfort in the home, better health and peace-of-mind for everyone,” added Ron.

For more information about improving the ventilation in your home call Ron on 0845 474 6641 or go to www.noreus.co.uk

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

Got a quick question? send us an email and we'll get back to you, ASAP.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

Christmas scented candles give a festive touch – but they can also add to the pollution inside a home.